The library hosts a number of annual events, many of which are key fund-raisers. In addition, book discussions, special lectures, weekly storytimes and arts and crafts workshops are held throughout the year. For information about our current programming check out our events calendar.
The 23rd annual Library Luminaries
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Mark your calendar. More information to come!
A cocktail party will be held at the library from 5:30-7:00pm, followed by unique dinners in beautiful country homes where noteworthy people will be honored as Luminaries. Reservations are required.
- Our 22nd annual Library Luminaries fundraiser was held on May 20, 2017. The event was huge success and thank you to all who attended. A cocktail party started the evening at the Library, followed by unique dinners in beautiful country homes, each highlighting a notable “luminary” guest.
- Please enjoy these photos from 2017:
Bernadette Cruz and Patrick Moxey (Luminary), Jeff Levick and Kate Karet (Hosts)
Karen Davis, Mary Lee Kennedy (Luminary, former Chief Library Officer at the New York Public Library),
Phil Farmer (former Trustee and Board President), Karyn Detje and Sal Sorce (current Trustee)
Tal & Robert Copen, Gary Flood (former Trustee)
Columbus Day Weekend 2018
The Design & Antiques Show, one of the primary annual fundraisers for Gunn Memorial Library, Inc. featured dealers from across the East Coast and an opportunity for visitors to browse an impressive array of exceptional antiques and contemporary collections. The show took place October 6-8, 2017 at the Washington Primary School. We were pleased to welcome Cornelia Guest as our Honorary Chair for this popular fall social event. Please enjoy the following pictures from the 2017 Antiques Show:
Gunn Memorial’s annual Festival of Trees cocktail party takes place in the historic Wykeham Room on the first Friday in December from 5 to 7pm. The event featured creatively-decorated holiday trees, wreaths and stockings available for purchase. Guests perused the festive hall while sampling wine and hors d’oeuvres provided by local restaurants. The Library’s tree is always decked with Treasure Pouches, each containing a slip of paper bestowing a mystery gift. Attendees purchase a pouch and claime an item or service that had been donated by a local business including gift baskets, theater tickets, edibles, gift certificates and more.
- Our Book Basement offers constantly refreshed fiction, non-fiction, biography, history and children’s books at very reasonable rates. It is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10-4 and Saturdays from 10 to 2. Please call 860-868-7586 to confirm hours before you visit as the shop closes periodically to rotate inventory.
- In our Stairwell Gallery, artists of local and international fame share their work. Gunn Memorial benefits from a percentage of all sales. Exhibits rotate every six weeks.
- The Children’s Holiday Sale is a popular Junior Library event which takes place the second week of December. This sale gives children an opportunity to purchase holiday gifts for family members at very reasonable prices. Patrons are asked for donations of small gift items, accessories, housewares or unused toiletries to make the event a success. A great way to put aside items for the sale is to designate a box (in the attic or basement) and deposit those little gifts or items you receive throughout the year that you know you won’t really use. For instance, you might set aside a box of soaps, a necktie that’s out of favor, candles, a knickknack with no knack for your taste, a scarf that missed the mark, a redundant kitchen gadget — you get the idea. Then just bring them to the Junior Library the first week of December. Thank you!