The library hosts a number of annual events, many of which are key fund-raisers. In addition, book discussions, special lectures, weekly storytimes and arts and crafts workshops are held throughout the year. For information about our current programming check out our events calendar.
The 23rd annual Library Luminaries
Saturday, 2018 – Date To Be Announced.
A cocktail party will be held at the library from 5:30-7:00pm, followed by unique dinners in beautiful country homes where noteworthy people will be honored as Luminaries. Reservations are required.
- Our 22nd annual Library Luminaries fundraiser was held on May 20, 2016. The event was huge success and thank you to all who attended. A cocktail party started the evening at the Library, followed by unique dinners in beautiful country homes, each highlighting a notable “luminary” guest.
Bernadette Cruz and Patrick Moxey (Luminary), Jeff Levick and Kate Karet (Hosts)
Karen Davis, Mary Lee Kennedy (Luminary, former Chief Library Officer at the New York Public Library),
Phil Farmer (former Trustee and Board President), Karyn Detje and Sal Sorce (current Trustee)
Tal & Robert Copen, Gary Flood (former Trustee)
The Washington Connecticut Antiques & Design Show was held October 7 – 9, 2016 with the Preview Night cocktail party on Friday evening, October 7 and Young Collectors Party on Saturday evening, October 8. Outstanding designer showcases of antiques and collectibles were on display through the weekend at the Washington Primary School in Washington Depot, CT. Please call 860-868-7586 for more info.
- The popular Festival of Trees takes place the first Friday in December, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Our Book Basement offers constantly refreshed fiction, non-fiction, biography, history and children’s books at very reasonable rates. It is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10-4 and Saturdays from 10 to 2. Please call 860-868-7586 to confirm hours before you visit as the shop closes periodically to rotate inventory.
- In our Stairwell Gallery, artists of local and international fame share their work. Gunn Memorial benefits from a percentage of all sales. Exhibits rotate every six weeks.
- The Children’s Holiday Sale is a popular Junior Library event which takes place the second week of December. This sale gives children an opportunity to purchase holiday gifts for family members at very reasonable prices. Patrons are asked for donations of small gift items, accessories, housewares or unused toiletries to make the event a success. A great way to put aside items for the sale is to designate a box (in the attic or basement) and deposit those little gifts or items you receive throughout the year that you know you won’t really use. For instance, you might set aside a box of soaps, a necktie that’s out of favor, candles, a knickknack with no knack for your taste, a scarf that missed the mark, a redundant kitchen gadget — you get the idea. Then just bring them to the Junior Library the first week of December. Thank you!