Kids Digital Resources
Here is a link to the Region-12 website for a list of supplemental learning activities to complete while we all navigate the coronavirus outbreak.
And a link for virtual library resources by elementary grade level from Region 12.
Providing credible, accurate, reliable content on almost every core-curricula subject, Scholastic GO!®offers endless resources for research in a multitude of media. Explore nonfiction texts, world newspapers, videos and more with this easy-to-navigate digital resource designed to strengthen content knowledge, vocabulary, and core proficiency skills. Have your library card ready if you are accessing from home.
BookFlix is an engaging, online video literacy program from Scholastic is available to patrons of the Junior Library. BookFlix allows children to listen to recorded stories and watch colorful animations true to the book’s original illustrations, while following along with the text page by page on screen; or they may choose to read the text on their own. More than 100 fiction video storybooks are paired with non-fiction titles. After reading or listening to the fictional story Bear Has a Story to Tell, in which a young bear wants to tell his friends a story before they go to sleep for the winter, BookFlix presents the related non-fiction book How Do You Know It’s Winter? introducing young readers to climate and the behavior of animals and people in the winter.
This pairing of fiction with non-fiction reinforces reading skills and develops real-world knowledge and understanding. Activities such as vocabulary games and interviews with book authors are also available. The curriculum supports Connecticut grade level expectations and preparation for the Connecticut Mastery Test.
- ALA ALSC Awards
- Caldecott Medal Winners and Honor Books, 1938-Present
- Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922-Present
- Nutmeg Award Winners
Booklists & Reviews
- James Patterson’s: ReadKiddoRead.com
- Kirkus Reviews for Kids
- NY Public Library recommended reads
- Oprah’s Book List for Kids
- The Best Children’s Books
Fun and Helpful Links:
If you have found a site you like, please e-mail us and we’ll include it here.
- Best Children’s Books
- B.J. Pinchbeck’s Homework Helper
- Disney Games
- Enchanted Learning
- Fun Brain
- Harry Potter at Home
- How Stuff Works
- Jump Start
- Learning Planet
- Lil Fingers Storybooks
- Mad Libs Printable
- Magic School Bus
- Make Me Genius
- NASA Kids
- National Geographic Kids
- PBS Kids
- CommonSenseMedia.org – offers a wealth of information about media and children on its website. This up-to-date resource provides helpful reviews and recommendation by age for apps, games, movies, tv programs, books, websites and music. The Topic Center helps to educate parents on such topics as, cyberbullying, social media, and general internet safety.
- Khan Academy